And I have done it - on my 5th RORO meeting this year - I gave a lighting talk!
I did a 5 minute book review on Well Grounded Rubyist - yes the book that I have always talked about in this blog.
Back to the lighting talk - I must have at least put in 10 hours of preparation on it, yeah so much effort just for such a short talk. But I am glad that I did it - I’ve learned a lot both on the preparation and on the delivery. This is my first user group presentation ever - although I have done a couple team pressos for companies that I worked for.
My aims for the talk were:
- Sharing what I like about the book aimed especially for the new people (to my disappointment - not that many new people that night).
- Making people who are new to Ruby welcomed. At least they’d know that not all of them who come to the meetup is expert.
- I need to speak clearer (even with my thick Indonesian accent)
- I need to speak slower and maybe less material for a lighting talk.
- My slides looked terrible compared to other presenters.