Ok maybe it’s not that great.. Some people at work are quite enthusiastic about Ruby on Rails (RoR). I do not have interest nor time to investigate it further, but the concept is quite promising. Having MVC, ORM and all of other goodies out of the box is great.
Is it a language worth learning for me personally? I am not convinced yet, RoR hasn’t really that well adopted as being the mainstream web language (yet). I checked Seek today and here are the results (location is set to Sydney):
- Keyword: Ruby, 27 positions
- Keyword: Coldfusion, 76 positions. (wow, last time I checked there were about 20-ish positions)
- Keyword: Java, 1662 positions.
- Keyword: .NET, 1515 positions.
- Keyword: PHP, 272 positions.
Would interested to run this search again in few years from now, things might change. Adding Ruby to my knowledge portfolio using share market terms is like buying small cap shares, risky but have a lot of potential, while delving in Java/.NET is like buying blue chip shares, stable but not that exciting..